My Vampirella redesign for Project Rooftop.
This was a rough one. How do you redesign a character that IS her costume.
I started with the thing I hated most about her classic look. It's her Magic Grow Back Wings. Yee-eee-yuck.
I gave her more anthropomorphic arm-wings. When researching that, I was inspired by photos of bat wings that are back lit and appear to glow red. And from there I was off to the races.
When the wings grow, the full sleeve costume
grows over it (Drakulonian Spandex is very stretchy). Since she no
longer can wear bracelets without impeding her transformation, the
anklets she now wears have a purpose. They are like the Kung Fu rings
worn by the Shoalin on their wrists.
The costume zips up the front with the vamp logo becoming a zipper charm. She can now keep her breasts put away for those quieter character moments. Combined with the black shoulder panels, it evokes the classic costume when unzipped. The back is all black aside from the boy shorts. I love the way that the collar + wings creates a bat silhouette. That was an accident.
I think I might have a shot at winning this one.
4th Place! That's F@*&ing Bull$#!t.
Just kidding it really amazing. Many thanks to the fantastic folks from Project: Rooftop who always come up with new and exciting challenges that eat at the inside of my brain and force me to draw. Special thanks go to Trina Robbins, Dan Bereton and Joe Jusko. The latter two are influences on my work and it's a real honor to have their critiques.
If you clicked here by way of the Contest please post a comment. Give your own a harsh as hell crit, shower me with praise, or just say HI. And click back soon for updates on my work.